SSL/TLS certificates verify and validate the identity of the certificate holder or applicant before authenticating it. We will share 4 ways to check the SSL Certificate Expiration date.
what is SSL certificate?
SSL certificates are used to establish secure connections between web browsers and websites. When you visit a website that uses SSL, the website will send its SSL certificate to your browser. Your browser will then use the certificate to verify the website’s identity. If the website’s identity is verified, your browser will create a secure connection with the website. SSL certificates are typically used to protect sensitive information, such as credit card numbers and passwords.
how to choose an SSL certificate
When choosing an SSL certificate, it is important to consider the type of encryption that is used. RSA is more widely used, but ECDSA is becoming increasingly popular due to its security features.
Another important factor to consider is the length of the certificate’s signature. The longer the signature, the more secure the connection will be. However, longer signatures can also lead to slower performance.
Finally, you should also consider the price of the SSL certificate. In most cases, you can find a good SSL certificate for a reasonable price. comodosslstore is a great choice to get an SSL certificate. Comodo is a world-class Certificate Authority with a long history innovation within the Certificate Authority space.
If you need a free SSL certificate for your website, Elementor Cloud Website is a great option. They offer fast speeds, good uptime, and excellent customer support. It is an end-to-end solution gives you everything you need in one place for your website. Web Hosting on Google Cloud + SSL certificate + WordPress + Website Builder + Templates.
We recommend using Elementor Cloud Website to build a website. It is very easy to start. You can get your website online in minutes. The price is $99 for one year. Plus, they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out with no risk.
Elementor Cloud Website Features
- Built-in hosting from Google Cloud Platform
- Secure CDN by Cloudflare
- Free SSL certification by Cloudflare
- 20 GB storage
- 100 GB bandwidth
- 100K monthly visits
- Free custom domain connection
- Free subdomain under elementor.cloud
- Automatic backups once every 24 hours
- Manual backups from My Elementor account
- You also get all the benefits of Elementor Pro, including the drag & drop editor, all Pro widgets, features, kits and templates. PLUS, you get support for everything, from the Editor to Hosting, all in one place.
what will happen after SSL certificate expires?
If an SSL certificate expires, the website will not be able to establish a secure connection with browsers. This can cause visitors to see security warnings and potentially leave the website. It is important to renew SSL certificates before they expire in order to avoid these problems.
check SSL certificate expiration date from a certificate file
Openssl command is a very powerful command to check certificate info in Linux. We can use the following command to check the expiration date.
openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in file.cer
Example: openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in hydssl.cer
notAfter=Dec 12 16:56:15 2029 GMT
check SSL certificate expiration date from a server URL
openssl s_client -servername -connect 2>/dev/null | openssl x509 -noout -dates
openssl s_client -servername google.com -connect google.com:443 2>/dev/null | openssl x509 -noout -dates
notBefore=Aug 16 01:37:02 2021 GMT
notAfter=Nov 8 01:37:01 2021 GMT
The openssl is a very useful diagnostic tool for TLS and SSL servers. The openssl command-line options are as follows:
- s_client : The s_client command implements a generic SSL/TLS client which connects to a remote host using SSL/TLS.
- -servername $DOM : Set the TLS SNI (Server Name Indication) extension in the ClientHello message to the given value.
- -connect $DOM:$PORT : This specifies the host ($DOM) and optional port ($PORT) to connect to.
- x509 : Run certificate display and signing utility.
- -noout : Prevents output of the encoded version of the certificate.
- -dates : Prints out the start and expiry dates of a TLS or SSL certificate.
check SSL certificate expiration date from online Certificate Decoder
The SSL Certificate Decoder tool instantly decodes any SSL Certificate-no matter what format: PEM, DER, or PFX encoded SSL Certificates. It works quickly and accurately to strip all the information from our certificate and present it in an easy-to-understand way. To use the certificate decoder tool, go to ssl tool area on the right side of page comodosslstore.com. select Certificate Decoder Tool, paste our certificate into the field and let the certificate decoder do the rest.
- Common Name : HydrantID Server CA O1
- Organization : IdenTrust
- Organization Unit : HydrantID Trusted Certificate Service
- Country : US
- Valid From : Dec 12,2019
- Valid To : Dec 12,2029
- Issuer : IdenTrust
- Serial Number : 85078034981552318268408137974808230776
check SSL certificate expiration date from online tool
There are many online tools to check the SSL certificate info. Go to ssl tool area on the right side of page comodosslstore.com. In SSL Checker Tool, we can input the domain name to check it. All the info in the certificate will be displayed including the expiration date. This will also display the expiration date for all the intermediate certificates.
- The certificate expires November 6, 2021 (70 days from today)
- Subject howtouselinux.com Valid from 08/Aug/2021 to 06/Nov/2021
- Subject R3 Valid from 04/Sep/2020 to 15/Sep/2025
- Subject ISRG Root X1Valid from 20/Jan/2021 to 30/Sep/2024
how to renew an SSL certificate
The process for renewing an SSL certificate is usually pretty simple. First, you will need to generate a new CSR (Certificate Signing Request). You can do this using a tool like OpenSSL. Once you have generated the CSR, you will need to submit it to your CA (Certificate Authority).
Once the CA has issued your new certificate, you will need to install it on your web server. In most cases, this is a fairly simple process. However, if you are not familiar with this, you may want to ask help from here comodosslstore.com.
Once the new certificate is installed, you should be all set! Your website will now be able to establish secure connections with browsers.
- Exploring SSL Certificate Chain with Examples
- Understanding X509 Certificate with Openssl Command
- OpenSSL Command to Generate View Check Certificate
- Converting CER CRT DER PEM PFX Certificate with Openssl
- SSL vs TLS and how to check TLS version in Linux
- Understanding SSH Key RSA DSA ECDSA ED25519
- Understanding server certificates with Examples